Sunday, December 18, 2011

Some days I love my horse

Ok, ok, I might love him every day.

But ESPECIALLY when he's a good boy like he was yesterday! First, he had a lesson with a little boy (probably 4' or under) and he was a trooper! The boy lead Reily around, and Reily dropped his head so it would be level with the boy. He was able to move Reily around with out any hesitation. When the boy got on to  ride, his feet reached probably about half way on Reily's belly.

Ridding around, the boy would flap his legs and cluck and Reily would respond by trotting, and he took very good care of his little rider. Reily is one of those horses who knows the level of the rider on them, and will test accordingly. With this little boy, he didn't test him as much as he does older people who ride him. When I get on, Reilys gotten used to me thwarting his plans, and gives in a little but when I first started riding him I remember all the stuff he put me through.

After riding with the little boy for an hour, I was able to get on Reily for the first time in a week. He wanted to go a little faster, so I pushed him into the bridle at a working (kinda... more semi-working) trot around the arena. He was feeling great, so I decided to do some lead changes with him again. Circle to the left, WOAH, settle, Circle to the right, WOAH, settle, ect. It was nice to see he was beginning to stop off of my seat from the canter, and I barely had to use the reins.

Next I started doing lead changes from the trot. I'm still thinking of a word to use for the trot lead transition, but since on the lungeline my downward transition is TROT long and low I've just been using that.

Then got to the exciting part! I know I've been doing flying lead changes for a year now, but I still think they are just so much fun. They have helped Reilys canter, balance and even topline. We did I couple lead changes at the canter and I was ECSTATIC with how amazing he was being! His bad habit with the flying lead changes is that he will 'anticipate' them and do a flying lead change in our circle where I normally ask for them (but I haven't asked for it), and have to do another one when I tell him "No, we're still circling". But we didn't have that problem at all yesterday! He would circle and wait for ME to tell him when to change. We did a few flying lead changes down the middle as well, and he did smashing.

The feeling of how he lifts, and becomes more up and down then rushed and strung out is incredible. It will never become old!

Enough of my rambling for today though, I better head off to the barn! Today and tomorrow, Reily is mine :) I'll be sure to bring the camera out!

No comments:

Post a Comment